Wednesday, August 26, 2009

This Week in the Sketchbook : Character Design

Wrapping up the finals on the second Rockh... wait. Did we announce there's gonna be...? Urgh. Um...

Wrapping up the finals on some project and moving into September. September is "get proposals knocked out for publishers month." I have... four... books I am putting together.

I don't normally post works in progresses, especially before someone's called dibs on them, but since this is just a a character and you know nothing about him or what he's doing, I thought I'd show him to you.

No guarantees he's going to end up like this at all, but here's his journey so far.

(My big money scanner is not calibrated and I am having probs getting the blue out.)



Thumbnail


Click image for larger

Why is it these first pencil thumbnail sketches are some of my favorites? My most favorite of Rock from Animal Band is just a quick collection of lines. Can't even see much about him. But there's an energy, and, somehow the soul of the character's there. If that makes any sense.



Tightening up


Click image for larger

He's looking a bit like Christopher Robin here. Maybe it's the short pants.




Meh.


Click image for larger

Just warming the pencil up here. Playing with some elements. Mostly his clothes. Very stiff drawing. (I often notate as I am drawing along.)



Pushing the abstract.


Click image for larger

Playing with more simplified shapes. He's too old here... needs to be softened to be a kid's book. (Hieroglyphic feet!)



More there-er


Click image for larger

Softer. More realistic. (TOO realistic?) Ok.



Looking for a balance. Looking for who this kid is. Not sure, yet. The story is brand new and developing. Missing some of the pieces. But it's coming together.



NOTE: NOT THE FINAL. GOING BACK TO THE BEGINNING SKETCH AND FOLLOWING IT DOWN ANOTHER PATH.

No comments: